Webster Park, Creek Bend Shelter (near the playground off Holt rd)
Saturday May 20th, 2023, 10am to 11:30am
The park is generally dry, only a few trails had mud. I walked across a couple of the marshes while scouting, water/mud was never more than ankle deep. Streams are flowing but generally shallow.
Vegetation has not taken over the woods yet. In most cases it is easy to move off trail in white/lightest green. I've tried to keep you on trail through the worst of the dark green. The typical Webster rules apply, be wary of green off trail.
Additional Course Notes
· Maps are printed at:
o Beginner – 1:5,000 scale
o All other courses – 1:10,000 scale
· All maps have 2.5-meter contours
· The map is showing its age. Major updates for vegetation, rootstocks and trails are needed. Minor updates were made, expect to find un-mapped features on course.
· Poison Ivy is in bloom, beware if allergic.
· There are many rootstocks in the park, both mapped and unmapped. For clarity, rootstocks have been changed to a Green “X” on the map. All trees are now marked with a Green “O” regardless of type. The legend has been updated accordingly.
· Ticks are out in force, the setting and vetting of this course has found 3 so far. Be sure to dress appropriately and check once off course.
Many thanks to Linda Kohn, Dick Detwiler & Doug Hall for their assistance with this event. They’ve put in a lot of work to improve the quality of the course, all issues should be attributed to the course setter (Andrew Beckmann).
String-O is back!! Bring your kids (or prepare to unleash the kid inside you). It will be e-punch so bring your sprinting shoes and we will see who earns the fastest string-O time!!
Also returning, snacks and drinks! Pre-packaged snacks, fruit and jugs of water/Gatorade will be available.
Don't forget to sign up to volunteer and pre-register.
See you in the woods!